Information for Student Employers
- All jobs must be posted with the Office of Student Financial Services. When an employer has a job opening, he or she fills out a Student Employee Request form for the Office of Student Financial Services. The request form may be returned to the Office of Student Financial Services by e-mail to email@example.com. Jobs are posted in the Office of Student Financial Services and on the website.
- Students interested in the position are sent to apply to the employers. The Office of Student Financial Services does not assign jobs to students. It is the employer's responsibility to hire the student and complete the proper forms.
- Students may be hired only if they have an Employment Verification Card from the Office of Student Financial Services. If the student does not have an Employment Verification Card, please direct the individual to the Office of Student Financial Services. The student will need to have their SJC identification card with them in order to complete an I-9 Citizenship Form as required by the Federal Government.
- Students may not begin working until the employer completes the bottom half of the Employment Verification Card. The verification card must be returned to the Office of Student Financial Services before the student is paid. Time sheets received by the Office of Student Financial Services for students who do not have the verification card will be returned to the employer. The employer should take note as to whether the student's work card is Work-Study (yellow) or Regular (white). This determines which time sheets should be used.
- Record the actual student hours worked on appropriate time sheets. Use white time sheets for Regular student workers and yellow for Work-Study students. Both "in" and "out" times must be documented on the time sheets. Incomplete time sheets will not be paid. During the school year, students may work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week. During vacation periods, students cannot work in excess of 40 hours per week.
- Time sheets are due in the Office of Student Financial Services no later than 4:30 Monday following the end of the pay period. Please view the current Payroll Schedule for specific dates. Time sheets that are received late will not be paid until the next pay check. Please note that the signature placed on the Employment Verification Card for student employees will be the only signature accepted on time sheets for your department. This is for your protection and will help avoid confusion during payroll processing. All student time sheets MUST be turned into Student Financial Services by the Faculty/Staff supervisor. Time sheets will be accepted in person or via e-mail. E-mails must be sent as a scanned document from the Faculty/Staff supervisor's SJC e-mail account. Time sheets will not be accepted directly from the student."
- The hourly wage for students is minimum wage, $7.25 per hour. The Vice President for Business Affairs determines student pay rates. Student employees working over the above hours or wages must have the Vice President for Business Affairs approval. If granted, the Office of Student Financial Services is to pay accordingly upon notification from that office.