Why Physical Education?
- 1Prepares you to work with students in public, or private, institutions from preschool to high school in the Physical Education setting.
- 2Allows you to develop critical thinking and problem solving skills which will impact the students you work with on a day to day basis.
- 3Provides hands-on learning and real world experience to prepare you for your future career as a Physical Educator.
Careers in Physical Education
- Physical Education Teacher
Alumni Graduate Schools
- Ball State University
- New York University
- Illinois State University
- Indiana State University
- Indiana University
Why Study Physical Education at Saint Joseph's College?
Our Physical Education major is tailored to the needs of each student. Students have the opportunity to take electives in the Exercise Science Department to create their own area of expertise or interest.
- Sports Management - prepares students for various positions in sports and fitness organizations, collegiate and high school athletic departments, and sports retailing and marketing.
- Exercise Science - prepares students for graduate degrees in various Exercise Sciences disciplines and sub -disciplines.
- Fitness & Wellness - prepares students for careers in coaching, personal training, as a strength and conditioning coach, fitness coaching, and wellness advising.
Our Physical Education courses are designed to provide sound theory and practical application in Physical Education. The curriculum acquaints students with professional skills, techniques, and competencies while attending to their cognitive, psychomotor, and affective development. Therefore, the SJC Department of Exercise Science gives Physical Education students a tremendous amount of practical experience. For example, Physical Education students enrolled in EXS 331: Adaptive Physcial Education course act as aids in physical education classrooms in the local school system. Students also select an activity to implement an instructional adaptation lesson where they teach lessons for student with disabilities including visual impairment, hearing impairment, or loss of limb/ limb control.
Dedication to Excellence
The SJC Department of Exercise Science is committed to academic excellence. As a result, Physical Education students are placed in a learning-focused environment, where they are given opportunities to demonstrate their ability to perform and excel within the program. All Exercise Science faculty members are committed to excellence and dedicate the time and resources needed to aid in student success.
Faculty and Class Size
The Department of Exercise Science at SJC consists of faculty who have earned doctoral degrees and have extensive professional experience in various fields of Physical Education.
- “Teaching Dance in Elementary and Secondary Physical Education”
“Social Dance Basics Returning to Saint Joseph's College”: Assistant Professor of Exercise Science Dr. Gary Sanders teaches dance class