Fire safety is the responsibility of everyone and it is important that each resident know how to protect themselves, and what actions they can take to minimize the chance of a fire in a residence hall.
In your room:
- NEVER ignore a fire alarm.
- Know your escape route in advance and how far it is to the exit (always have an alternative).
- Do not overload extension cords - get a power strip with an over-current protector that shuts off power automatically if there is too much current being drawn.
- Immediately report any electrical problem in your room to your RA by completing a work order.
- Do not connect multiple extension cords together.
- Do not route cords under doors or carpets - cords can short circuit, overheat and ignite.
- Do not staple extension cords.
- Use only UL listed extension cords and appliances.
- Do not use cheater plugs.
- Do not use Halogen lamps.
- Smoking, candles and incense are prohibited in the residence halls.
- Know where the fire extinguishers are in the building.
- Do not use appliances prohibited by the College.
- Recognize that alcohol consumption is a factor in 50% of fire related deaths in the US.
- Never disable a smoke alarm or tamper with fire equipment.
If you are in your room and the fire alarm sounds:
- Touch the door to see if it is warm before opening it.
- Open the door with care, and if it is safe, proceed to the exit and evacuate and move away from the building. Be sure to close your door behind you to keep smoke and fire out of your room.
- If the hallway is filled with smoke, get low to the floor where there is the best chance to find the cleanest air.
- Yell "Fire!" as you leave to alert other residents.
- Move away from the building and don't re-enter until instructed.
- If you are unable to exit the building, hang something out of your window to let the fire department know you are in the room.