- 1A degree in History will provide you with a number of marketable skills, including the ability to read, research, and write effectively. As a result, History majors are some of the most sought-after individuals by businesses.
- 2Understanding the past is integral to interpreting the present and determining the future. According to philosopher George Santayana, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. If anything holds the key to understanding warfare, famine, and social crises, it's the analysis and understanding of history.”
- 3According to The Princeton Review, “History deals with actual people and factual events. Everything has a history - nations, wars, ethnic groups, sexuality, jazz, gambling, postage stamps, you name it. One real plus about majoring in History is that you can stay engrossed in the subject matter long after you graduate.”
Why Study History at Saint Joseph's College?
The Department of History offers courses in United States, European, and several non-Western histories, as well as courses that teach and utilize the basic skills of historical research.
The History faculty members encourage all of their students to participate in internships with high profile businesses. Opportunities for internships currently exist with the Washington Center, the United States Supreme Court, and the Washington Museum in Washington, D.C., as well as Lake County Parks in Crown Point, Ind.
Dedication to Excellence
The Department of History claims some of our most academically inclined students, many graduating in the top 10% of their class. The Department of History has placed more people in the Washington Center than any other department. SJC is known for helping graduates find jobs almost immediately after graduation, and History majors are not an exception. Many of our recent graduates have already found success, such as:
- Eric Hall, Ph.D. ’04 is an Assistant Professor of History at Georgia Southern University
- Jill Van Gessel ’11, Kathi Corwin ’12, and Mary Delach ’12 are pursuing their Master of Arts in Historic Preservation at Ball State University
Faculty and Class Size
The History faculty at SJC consists of professors who hold master's or doctoral degrees in their fields of expertise and who have traveled all over the globe, including Peru, Costa Rica, Africa, India, Egypt, England, Jordan, Syria, and Vietnam. The SJC Department of History is also fortunate to have Dr. Ilicia Sprey, one of 280,000 Fulbright Scholars in the world, on staff. History classes at SJC range between 12 and 25 students.