Why Forensic Science?
- The field of Forensic Science has grown rapidly, putting those with a Forensic Science background in high demand. A degree in Forensic Science will offer you the security of many options for jobs and careers. Employers recognize that SJC graduates have learned more than graduates from other schools.
- The Master of Science in Forensic Science offers students coursework in several forensic disciplines, including blood spatter, fingerprints, firearms and toolmark identification, and toxicology.
The program is designed to give the student practical experience in his or her field of study. All of the courses are designed to further knowledge and experience in Forensic Science through site-based, hands-on, concentrated studies led by professionals with a wealth of background and leadership in their respective fields.
Through intensive courses based on-site at universities and working forensic laboratories, students will learn the skills necessary to pursue a career or strengthen their background in the field of Forensic Science, whether in a specific discipline, or as a whole. In other programs, you might stay in the same location for two years, with little to no real-world experience. In SJC’s program, you will have a chance to work in real crime labs as well as at research universities, which will solidify your real-life crime lab experience and allow you to network to the fullest in different programs.
The non-thesis master’s degree program is desirable for those are seeking a second career and/or employment in an investigative or crime laboratory situation. By choosing this option, you will be additionally prepared, trained, and experienced in fields associated with employment within a crime lab or in investigative or educational capacities.
- Enjoy more flexibility with credits and course structure than other graduate programs in Forensics
- Network with peers and top professionals in the field around the nation
- Proximity to major metro areas
- All courses have a hands-on component--learn by doing!
Careers in Forensic Science
- Bench chemists who conduct drug analysis
- Bench chemists who conduct blood and DNA analysis
- Fingerprint analysts
- Blood spatter experts
- Firearms examiners
- Trace evidence analysts
- Tire/footprint experts
- Questioned document examiners
- Glass and paint experts
- Computer examiners
- Audio experts
Why Study Forensic Science at SJC?
Get the experience that furthers your career
Deemed a "Best in the Midwest College," Saint Joseph's College offers a hands-on approach to those wishing to pursue the Master of Science in Forensic Science. Studying Forensic Science at SJC will put you a step ahead of the competition.
Locations vary to give you the most experience
Many courses are held in locations unique to the traditional graduate school experience. While most are held within 200 miles of the Saint Joseph’s College campus in Rensselaer, Indiana, others are held at working crime labs, morgues, and partnering universities around the United States and Toronto in Ontario, Canada.
Opportunities to travel
You may travel to working forensic facilities and study with professionals in various disciplines in a condensed course structure, which will provide you with greater exposure to the field than a traditional graduate program.
Personalize your education
Make this program yours
This degree is a non-thesis option that is so flexible, it can be tailored to your needs and particular field of interest.
Flexible credits in a flexible timeframe
Courses are offered with as little as 1 credit hour (approximately 15 contact hours), designed to be taken over a two-day period. Courses that are 3-5 credits (45-60 contact hours), are scheduled to be completed over a one- to two-week time period. A variety of courses are available to choose from to create a degree that reflects your strengths and interests.
If you look at other programs, this one is very affordable, especially if you have to pay out-of-state tuition. Also, we assist master’s students as much as possible in finding affordable housing and travel.
For more information or to register: email@example.com