Why Fitness & Wellness?
- 1 The Fitness & Wellness Major is intended for those student looking to pursue careers in coaching, personal training, strength and conditioning coaching, fitness coaching, wellness advising, or work in some capacity at a fitness club or gym.
- 2 If you are passionate about sports, physical fitness, or both, studying Fitness & Wellness will help you turn your passion into a career.
- 3 According to the United States Department of Labor, the need for fitness professionals is expected to increase by 24%, faster than average, by 2020.
Why Study Fitness & Wellness at Saint Joseph’s College?
- Through the courses provided the students will have an opportunity to have hands on experiences and learning in physical fitness, nutrition, kinesiology, and exercise physiology.
- Students in the Fitness & Wellness program will be provided with a wide variety of background knowledge and skills in many areas pertinent to personal fitness and wellness advising.
- Students in the Fitness & Wellness program will have the opportunity to pair their major with a minor of interest that can assist them in reaching their career goals.
The curriculum acquaints students with professional skills, techniques, and competencies while attending to their cognitive, psychomotor, and affective development. Therefore, the SJC Department of Exercise Science gives Exercise Science students a tremendous amount of practical experience. For example, Exercise Science students can enroll in EXS 490: Internship. In this course the student, and the course instructor, select an internship opportunity, under the guidance of a fitness professional, in the career of interest to the student. This allows the student to have a real-world experience in their field of choice over the course of a semester. The student then presents to faculty and other Exercise Science students about the knowledge gained during this time.
- Exercise Science - prepares students for graduate degrees in various Exercise Sciences disciplines and sub -disciplines.
- Physical Education Teaching - designed for those who want to teach Physical Education at an elementary or secondary level and includes majoring in Physical Education and minoring in Education
- Sports Management - prepares students for various positions in sports and fitness organizations, collegiate and high school athletic departments, and sports retailing and marketing
Dedication to Excellence
The SJC Department of Exercise Science is committed to academic excellence. As a result, Fitness & Wellness students are placed in a learning-focused environment, where they are given opportunities to demonstrate their ability to perform and excel within the program. All Exercise Science faculty members are committed to excellence and dedicate the time and resources needed to aid in student success.
Faculty and Class Size
The Department of Exercise Science at SJC consists of faculty who have earned doctoral degrees and have extensive professional experience in various fields of Exercise Science.