Why Exercise Science?
- 1The Exercise Science Major is intended for those student looking to pursue a graduate degree in one of the Exercise Science disciplines such as, Exercise Physiology, Athletic Training, Sport Psychology, Kinesiology, Biomechanics, Physician Assistant, or Sport Nutrition.
- 2If you are passionate about sports, physical fitness, or both, studying Exercise Science will help you turn your passion into a career.
- 3According to the United States Department of Labor, the need for fitness professionals is expected to increase by 24%, faster than average, by 2020.
Why Study Exercise Science at Saint Joseph’s College?
- Students in the Exercise Science program have the opportunity to select electives in the Exercise Science Department to create an area of concentration or expertise that fits their career path.
- Students can elect to have a “General Science” minor to help them ensure they can get all of the prerequisites for graduate school.
The curriculum acquaints students with professional skills, techniques, and competencies while attending to their cognitive, psychomotor, and affective development. Therefore, the SJC Department of Exercise Science gives Exercise Science students a tremendous amount of practical experience. For example, Exercise Science students act as personal trainers for volunteer participants in EXS 329: Fitness Assessment & Exercise Instruction. Over the course of the semester, each student meets with his or her participant two or three times a week. The student is responsible for helping his or her participant establish fitness goals and designing a program that will help meet those goals.
- Fitness & Wellness - prepares students for careers in the coaching, personal training, strength and conditioning coach, fitness coaching, and wellness advising.
- Physical Education Teaching - designed for those who want to teach Physical Education at an elementary or secondary level and includes majoring in Physical Education and minoring in Education
- Sports Management - prepares students for various positions in sports and fitness organizations, collegiate and high school athletic departments, and sports retailing and marketing
Dedication to Excellence
The SJC Department of Exercise Science is committed to academic excellence. As a result, Exercise Science students are placed in a learning-focused environment, where they are given opportunities to demonstrate their ability to perform and excel within the program. All Exercise Science faculty members are committed to excellence and dedicate the time and resources needed to aid in student success.
Faculty and Class Size
The Department of Exercise Science at SJC consists of faculty who have earned doctoral degrees and have extensive professional experience in various fields of Exercise Science.