- 1According to The Princeton Review, “At a time when schools are being blamed for poor test scores and problem children, good teachers are needed more than ever. If you are creative, dedicated, enthusiastic, and compassionate, schools need you.”
- 2Many people who work in Education find their jobs rewarding. Teachers teach someone something new every day, a very gratifying experience.
- 3As an educator, you will have the opportunity to inspire students and teach subjects that you are passionate about.
Why Study Education at Saint Joseph's College?
SJC’s Education Division offers programs which lead to licensure in elementary, middle, and high school settings. Students can either major in Elementary Education or minor in Education while majoring in:
- English: Literature
- Physical Education
The SJC Education Division is able to offer students several licenses and related options:
- License available under the Elementary Education major: Generalist K-6
- Licenses available under the Education minor: Secondary 5-12
- Language Arts
- Science (Life Sciences, Chemistry)
- Social Studies (Economics, Government, History)
- Licenses available: All Levels P-12
- Fine Arts (Vocal and General Music, Instrumental and General Music)
- Health/Physical Education
- Visual Arts
- Related options that make Education students, specifically Elementary Education students, more marketable:
- Mathematics for Elementary Education minor
- Exceptional Needs minor
- Exceptional Needs dual licensure
Unlike large institutions where Education students do not begin working in classrooms until their junior or senior year, SJC’s Education students begin gaining hands-on experience in year one. As freshmen, sophomores, and juniors, our Education students are required to participate in our Professional Learning Experience (PLE) program, wherethey spend a total of 120 hours over four semesters observing classroom practices and assisting teachers with class projects. All PLE experiences are directly tied to academic content and evaluated both by the classroom teacher and by course-specific projects.
As seniors, our Education students participate in co-teaching. Our co-teaching model allows teacher candidates and cooperating teachers to work together with students; they jointly share the planning, organization, delivery, and assessment of instruction, as well as the physical classroom space. Co-teaching takes place over a full semester and is a full-time experience, meaning seniors spend all day, every day in their chosen classroom. By requiring students to participate in both our PLE program and co-teaching, our hands-on approach turns Education students into excellent educators.
Dedication to Excellence
SJC’s Education Division is a highly accredited program. All of our Education programs have been approved by the State of Indiana Professional Standards Board for the Training of Elementary and Secondary Teachers and the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). As a result, the Education Division at SJC has an exceptionally high employment rate.
The SJC Education Division sets high standards for Education students. Education students are required to pass state-mandated basic skills exams prior to formal entrance to the Teacher Education Program and pass the specialty area exams prior to co-teaching. Additionally, all candidates are required to be certified in CPR.
The SJC Education Division is pleased to report excellent pass rates on the Praxis II Content Knowledge Exams for their teacher candidates. Pass rates by area are reported below. An N/A indicates that there were no candidates in that area for that year.
|Elementary Education||100% (14/14)||100% (7/7)||100% (12/12)|
|Exceptional Needs||100% (4/4)||100% (2/2)||100% (5/5)|
|Language Arts [LINK TO ENGLISH LITERATURE]||100% (1/1)||100% (4/4)||100% (2/2)|
|Mathematics||100% (3/3)||100% (5/5)||N/A|
|Music||100% (3/3)||100% (2/2)||100% (1/1)|
|Physical Education||100% (3/3)||100% (1/1)||100% (1/1)|
|Social Studies [LINK TO HISTORY]||100% (2/2)||100% (4/4)||100% (2/2)|
Faculty and Class Size
In addition to having extensive experience, each of the SJC Education Division faculty members holds a master's or doctoral degree. Classes range in size between 15 and 20 students.