The SJC Department of Art is dedicated to fulfilling the needs of both the student artist and the student interested in Art. Courses are offered in Drawing, Design, Painting, Graphic Design, Photography, Ceramics, and more. Through hands-on experience and with the guidance of our award winning Art faculty members, SJC Art students develop the techniques, visual sensibility, and historical understanding necessary to foster individual artistic growth in an atmosphere of creative collaboration and community.
Clubs and Activities
Awards and Honors
- SJC Alumni Service Award, 2013 (Bonnie Zimmer)
- Tippecanoe Arts Federation Bravo for the Arts’s John Corey Arts Leadership Award, 2012 (Bonnie Zimmer)
- Dick Blick Juried Art Show’s Second Place Best of Show, 2011 (Corey Crum)
- Indiana State University’s Student Juried Show’s Kraig A Gibbons Memorial Award for Sculpture, 2009 (Corey Crum)
Recent Exhibitions and Publications
Professor Bonnie Zimmer
- “In Harmony with Nature or Not…,” Chesterton Art Gallery of Chesterton, Ind. 2013.
- “Objects of Contemplations: Rural Hybrids,” Solo Show, Indiana University North Contemporary Gallery of Gary, Ind., 2013.
- “In Harmony with Nature?” Tippecanoe Arts Federation Galleries of Lafayette, Ind., 2013.
- “Under Indiana Skies: The Rural Artists,” Thorntown Arts Center of Thorntown, Ind., 2012-2013.
- “Under Indiana Skies: The Rural Artists,” Tippecanoe Arts Federation Galleries of Lafayette, Ind., 2012-2013.
- “Under Indiana Skies: The Rural Artists,” Lilian Fendig Gallery of Renssel
- aer, Ind., 2012-2013.
- Char-ity and Above the Rail Exhibitions & Charity Auction, Art Museum of Greater Lafayette of Lafayette, Ind., 2012.
- “Natural Selection,” Solo Show, Southern Shore Artists’ Gallery of Michigan City, Ind., 2012.
- State of Mind: Recent Work by Saint Joseph’s College Art Students and Faculty, Tippecanoe Arts Federation Galleries of Lafayette, Ind., 2012.
- “In Harmony with Nature,” Lilian Fendig Gallery of Rensselaer, Ind., 2011.
- “TRASHION,” Indiana Welcome Center, W.R. Wellman Exhibit Hall of Hammond, Ind., 2011 and 2012.
- “Natural Selection,” 67th Annual Salon Show, South Shore Arts of Munster, Ind., 2011.
- “About Place,” Solo Show, Dorothea Thiel Gallery of Munster, Ind., 2011.
- “Sense of Place: Winter Harvest,” Solo Show, Tippecanoe Arts Federation Galleries of Lafayette, Ind., 2010.
Professor Corey Crum
- “Once-Living Things”, Lilian Fendig Gallery of Rensselaer, Ind., 2013.
- “Penetralia: The Innermost Parts”, Gallery 214, Northern Illinois University of DeKalb, Ill., 2012.
- “Real G’s Move in Silence like Lasagna,” National Wet Paint Exhibition 2012 Catalogue: Zhou B. Arts Center, Chicago, Ill.2012.
- “Real G’s Move in Silence like Lasagna,” Manifest: Tapped One2 v. 59. 2012.
- “Wave Hello, Mr. Raccoon,” National Wet Paint Exhibition 2011 Catalogue: Zhou B. Arts Center, Chicago, Ill. 2011.
Resources and Downloads
Opportunities for Hands-on Experience
Internships and Study Abroad
In order to ensure that students are receiving the hands-on experience that they need to be successful, our Art students are encouraged to pursue internships. Common internships including working with the Prairie Arts Council, Rensselaer’s fine arts program, and the Jasper County Youth Center. Many of our Art students also take advantage of SJC’s Study Abroad Program. Our Art students have recently studied in Spain, Italy, and Morocco.
Because Rensselaer is located 90 minutes from both Chicago and Indianapolis, our Art students have easy access to some of our nation’s largest museums and galleries, including the Indianapolis Museum of Art and the Art Institute of Chicago. As a result, each Art course includes a field trip to a special exhibition or event related to the course. For example, the Department of Art has taken design students to the Frank Lloyd Wright’s Samara House in West Lafayette, Ind. and ceramics students to the Art Institute of Chicago to view the collections of Mesoamerican and African pottery.
The SJC Department of Art holds multiple art shows each year, where both students and faculty members can display their work. Shows take place both on campus and at the Rensselaer Prairie Arts Council Gallery, which is just a few miles away from campus. Art shows give students a chance to display their work and practice talking and presenting their pieces, an integral skill for professional artists. SJC Art students conclude their studies with the Annual Senior Art Show. The event takes place at the Prairie Arts Council Gallery, and seniors are given the opportunity to display, present, and sell pieces from their collections.
“Get Outdoors: Dunes Learning Center provides many ways to celebrate National Get Outdoors Day”: Northwest Indiana Times features Associate Professor of Art Bonnie Zimmer working with visitors to create a temporary installation sculpture with natural and found materials at Get Outdoors Day
“Environmental artist weaves nature with discarded items for IUN exhibit”: Northwest Indiana Times features SJC’s Professor Bonnie Zimmer
Department of Art Majors and Minors
The Department of Art offers several workshops and trips throughout the year, so check the department page regularly for new and upcoming activities.