References to Alumni
- In College publications, use boldface type for the initial reference to alumni, including the class year at the end of their last name and the full maiden name for alumnae.
- When mentioning married alumni, the husband's name is listed first, with his class year following his first name, and the wife's name is mentioned last, with her class year following her last name. The word "and" should not appear in boldface type.
- In external formal documents and correspondence, as well as information prepared for the media, the relation of the alumnus/a to the College should be written out; the name should not appear in boldface type.
For more information about Homecoming, please contact Karey Klott Engels '97.
Bill '89 and Teresa Scanlon Massoels '89 have three children and reside in Rensselaer, Indiana.
Maureen Egan, a 1990 graduate of Saint Joseph's College, has joined the College's Office of Institutional Advancement and Marketing.
- Titles and the full name of an individual should be used on first reference and only the last name should be used on all subsequent references, unless a title is needed to distinguish between two individuals with the same last name.
- Neither Reverend nor Rev. is a title but considered part of a person's name. If the individual holds a doctoral degree, refer to him or her as "the Rev. Dr." Otherwise, use "the Rev."
- When designations like "II" or "III" appear at the end of a name, a comma is not used to separate the two. (However, if "Jr." or "Sr." is used, a comma would be used.)
- Capitalize all titles, regardless of where they appear.
- Identify holders of endowed chair positions.
- Members of the Missionaries of the Precious Blood are always to be identified with the suffix "C.PP.S." after their last name, with a comma separating the last name and the suffix.
Dr. Ernest Mills III began his tenure at Saint Joseph's College on July 9, 2001.
There is no period after the first "P."
The Rev. Dr. Timothy McFarland, C.PP.S. '78 is an Associate Professor of Religion at Saint Joseph's College.
In addition to titles, the following names should always be capitalized:
- Majors and minors
- Student organizations and clubs
Facilities and Features
This list includes the official names of SJC's various facilities and features and should be consulted when referring to such facilities and features in print.
- Admissions Welcome Center
- Evans Arts and Science Building
- Robinson Memorial Library
- Athletics/Recreation Facilities
- Alumni Football Field
- Hanson Recreation Center
- Fitness Center (upper level)
- Gil Hodges Memorial Baseball Field
- Lake Banet
- Joseph L. Minielli Memorial Soccer Field
- Raleigh Hall
- Puma Club Room
- Rueth-Fitzgibbon Baseball Facility
- Richard F. Scharf Alumni Fieldhouse
- Softball Field
- Tennis Courts
- Class of 1960 Michael J. Vallone Track and Field Complex
- Rev. Charles Banet, C.PP.S. Core Education Center
- Core 240
- Core Computer Laboratory
- Core Foyer
- Core Plaza
- Courtney Auditorium
- Shen Auditorium
- Saint Joseph's Chapel
- Chapel Basement
- Cup O'Joe
- St. Maria de Mattias Oratory (East Oratory)
- Gaspar Center
- Ray Ziegman Board of Trustees Room
- Halleck Student Center
- Campus Ministry Office
- Career Development Center
- Core XI
- Core XI (outer area)
- Halleck Undergraduate Bistro (HUB)
- North Lounge
- South Lounge
- The James and Susan Lennane Computer Center
- McHale Hall (formerly Xavier Hall)
- Residence Halls
- Aquinas Hall
- Bennett Hall
- Gallagher Hall
- Halas Hall
- Justin Hall
- Merlini Hall
- Noll Hall
- Residential Suites
- Schwietermann Hall
- Founder's Room
- Ray Ziegman Board of Trustees Room
- Seifert Hall
- Drexel Hall
- Dwenger Hall
- Intramural Field/Residential Quad
- Lourdes Grotto
- Reflecting Pond
- Saint Joseph the Educator and Jesus Statue
- Statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- United States Post Office
Preparing Items for the Media
Items prepared for print media must be consistent with the guidelines those media outlets follow. In most cases, grammar and style is in accordance with The Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law. These guidelines may or may not be consistent with SJC's own style guide.
- (SJC) Saint Joseph's College will hold an alumni/admissions reception in South Bend, Indiana.
- (AP) St. Joseph's College will hold an alumni/admissions reception in South Bend, Ind.